Independent School Districts | Public Charter Schools | Local Government | Bond Counsel and Public Finance | Commercial Real Estate & Natural Resources| Economic Development Corporations & Municipal Law
Legal Services for Texas.
Based in San Antonio, Texas (with offices in Austin, Houston and New Orleans, LA) Schulman, Lopez, Hoffer & Adelstein, LLP, serves Texas independent school districts, Texas charter schools, local government and nonprofit organizations offering accessible, responsive legal representation throughout Texas. We also specialize in legal services to private clients in areas pertaining to commercial real estate and natural resources.
Our experience extends to the areas of economic development corporations and municipal law, and in the representation of special purpose districts, cooperatives, shared service arrangements, utility districts, head start agencies, private schools, public and private colleges and universities, chambers of commerce, and education foundations as well as other nonprofit organizations. We also serve select private businesses with public law, public policy and employment law issues.
We represent our clients in both state and federal courts and before state and federal administrative agencies such as the Texas Education Agency, State Board of Education, Texas Attorney General, Texas State Auditor, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Secretary of State, Texas Department of Agriculture, the Texas Workforce Commission, the Texas Commission on Human Rights, the Department of Education/Office of Civil Rights, Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Health & Human Services, Department of Justice and various other federal agencies.
Legal Services for Louisiana.
Our offices in New Orleans opened in July 2014 under the supervision of Attorney Michael Higgins. The Firm and Mr. Higgins provide risk management and comprehensive legal services for Louisiana charter schools and we work with school leaders and school boards to implement best practices and preventative legal solutions; mitigate against risk; and provide strong legal defense when challenged—giving you peace of mind that helps you focus on offering the highest level of education to your students.
Our representation includes:
• School Expansion, Growth & Strategic Planning
• State and Federal Employment Law
• School Board and Nonprofit Governance
• Administrative Law & Appeals of State and Federal Agency Decisions and Actions
• Special Investigations & Legal/Compliance Audits
• Policy Guidance and Development
• Constitutional Challenges and Claims
• School Employee and School Board Training
• Litigation in Federal and State Courts
• Administrative Hearings and Appeals Before State and Federal Agencies
• Public Entity Purchasing and Procurement; Business Transactions; & Contract Negotiation, Review and Drafting
• Construction Law, AIA Construction Contracts, Review and Drafting
• Real Estate Transactions and Condemnation
• Special Education under IDEA and Section 504
• Student Rights & Discipline Issues and Hearings
• State and Federal Claims of Discrimination
• State and Federal Civil Rights
• Administrative Grievances and Hearings
• False Claims Act / Qui Tam Defense for Local Government Entities